Interviewing is the most critical part of the job search. Follow these pointers to blow the interviewer away and land your dream job!
- Show up early, about 10-15 minutes before your interview
- Research the company on all social channels and prepare questions for the interview
- Print extra copies of your resume, at least five in case there are additional interviewers
- Wear a professional outfit that appeals to the company and industry
- Communicate your interest in the position and your willingness to go above and beyond
- Express your gratitude in person, and send a hand-written note to those you met
- Turn off your phone and smartwatch to limit distractions
- Bring questions to ask in the interview
- Make eye contact with the interviewer and note your overall body language
- Talk about how hard it was to make it to the interview, even if there was a lot of traffic
- Wear too much perfume or distracting accessories that make a lot of noise
- Speak about former employers or companies in a negative light, keep things positive.
- Forget to breathe. Take pauses when needed, there’s no need to rush
- Make excuses for missteps in your past. Take ownership to show that you’ve grown.
- Bring up inappropriate topics, such as politics or religion, during the interview.
- Focus on the skills and experience that you don’t have.
- Mention salary expectations. Wait for the interviewer to bring this up
- Expect to know exactly what they’re going to ask, there will always be curveballs.
- Be afraid to be human!